Autonomous Driving Simulation & Validation
The ASV (Autonomous Driving Simulation & Validation) project, launched in 2018 for a four-year period, is the first project launched by the Institute for Technological Research (IRT) SystemX in Singapore. Led in close coordination with Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore), it is part of the work of the CETRAN Centre of Excellence for Testing & Research of AVs at NTU, dedicated to the research, testing and certification of autonomous vehicles, benefiting from a 1.8-hectare test circuit. The digital simulation platform that will be developed by SystemX as part of this project will contribute to test and validate the operational safety of autonomous vehicles of industrialists who wish to establish themselves in Singapore and more widely in the world.
The ASV project objectives are twofold:
- Participate in the development of standards for the certification of autonomous vehicles in partnership with CETRAN (Centre of Excellence for Testing & Research of AVs – NTU).
- Develop and validate methodologies and a platform for the use of simulation in the testing and validation of operational safety for autonomous vehicle.
- Validate simulation models by physical tests on the CETRAN circuit, under different climatic conditions.
The ASV project serves the autonomous vehicle market by focusing on the territory of Singapore, an island of 720km2, with a population of 8,000 inhabitants / km2and a very dense road network.
Following the development of megacities and the aging of the population, the authority in charge of the management of the road infrastructure (the LTA – Land Transport Authority) launched in 2014 the strategic plan “Smart Mobility 2030” to:
- Facilitate transportation planning and management by implementing smart mobility solutions, innovative and sustainable, leveraging on Big Data analytics.
- Ensure interoperability of systems and the establishment of public and private partnerships through the development and adoption of ITS (Intelligent Transport Systems).